Top 6 Certified Nursing Assistant Programs in New York City
To become a Certified Nursing Assistant, or CNA, in New York, you must take and pass the New York State Nurse Aide certification exam. If you live in New York City (NYC) and aspire to become a CNA, then the first step is finding a training program. You may not sit for the exam without completing an accredited program, but don't worry. There are tons of options in New York and the surrounding metro area. By learning about the most popular CNA programs in NYC, you will have a much easier time finding one that suits your needs and budget.
Top 6 NYC CNA Training Programs
The majority of the best CNA training programs in NYC are located right in the city or a few miles away:
- New Age Training - This popular technical school, which is located right in NYC, offers a Nurse Aide/Assistant CNA training program that's approved by the New York State Department of Health and by the New York State Education Department. Conveniently, the state board exam, or certification exam, is administered right at the school. Tuition for this program costs around $1,750, and the price includes books, uniform, and study materials.
- Allen school of Health Sciences - With locations in Queens and Brooklyn, this technical school is a convenient option for aspiring CNAs who live in those boroughs. Both locations offer a Nursing Assistant Training Program that is fully accredited. Upon graduating from the program, you will be eligible to take the New York State Nurse Aide exam, which will allow you to apply for and receive your CNA license.
- Berkeley College - Situated about 13 miles from New York City in Clifton, NJ, Berkeley College offers a wide array of technical certificate programs, including a Nurse Aide certification course. The course is taught by a registered nurse with extensive experience, so you will gain incredible insights into this rewarding career path. The program consists of about 50 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical training at local nursing homes and other facilities. The program meets all New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services requirements, and tuition costs around $900.
- Healthcare Training Institute - This Union, NJ, school is about 15 miles from New York City. Its CNA training program is approved by the New Jersey Department of Health, and it fully prepares you to take and pass the certification exam. Like other programs in the area, it's made up of a combination of classroom instruction, lab work, and clinical training. The latter occurs at hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare facilities, and it prepares you for the skills portion of the exam as well as for working in the field.
- Lincoln Tech - Located in Edison, NJ, which is about 22 miles from New York City, Lincoln Tech is a popular technical school that prepares students for a wide variety of career paths. Its Nursing Aide Training program consists of 50 hours of lecture and classwork and 40 hours of clinical training, so you can complete the program fairly quickly. To enroll, you must obtain your CPR certification, and a high school diploma or GED are also required.
- Wilson Technological Center - If you aren't too far from Huntington Station, NY, this school might be the ideal way to obtain your CNA training. It's about 35 miles from New York City, and it offers a Nurse Assistant Program that prepares you to take the New York State Nurse Aide Competency Exam. Conveniently, the program is offered as a full-time day schedule or a part-time evening schedule. Tuition costs around $1,575, but that doesn't include costs for things like books, uniforms, or supplies, so be sure to budget accordingly. You will spend part of your time completing labs and listening to lectures, but a significant portion of the training is clinical in nature and occurs at nursing homes and other facilities.
With so many CNA training programs to choose from in NYC and the surrounding area, it shouldn't be difficult to find one that suits your financial and scheduling needs. These programs can typically be completed in a matter of weeks, so by enrolling in one now, you will be able to earn your license and start applying for CNA jobs before you know it.