Checking a Certified Nursing Assistant License
On completing your Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course you will have to apply for licensing with the state nursing aide registry of the state you are in. You will have to complete a certification exam and then apply for licensure for the CNA course that you have done.
- Once you pass the exam, your certification is valid for about one year to about five years depending on the state you are in.
- Quite a few states have continuing education requirements and an employment requirement before your license and certificate can be renewed. For example Nevada has a continuing education requirement of at least 24 hours of legitimate certified education under a professional. There is also a requirement of a minimum of 40 hours of employment with an approved hospital or nursing home.
- You will also have to ensure that your professional reputation is not under review with any Local or State Complaints Review Board.
- Most licensing authorities will also check your medical history and criminal background to ensure that you are free of any criminal history.
- There will also be a background check for any legal suits and court orders that you are under at the moment.
- For most states, you will have to renew the license yearly but it varies from state to state.
- There will be a minimal licensing fee that you have to pay once you plan to renew your license.
- You will have a certification/ license number allotted to you. This number is allotted permanently to you.
- The process of renewing your license also varies from state to state. Most states do have an online website where you can put in your details and pay the money for instant renewal.
- The Licensing Authority will send you a renewal notice atleast 30-120 days before your license becomes due. The renewal notice will be posted to the address on your license unless you’ve had it changed.
- You will also have to intimate the licensing authority for all name changes that you might have done as they become applicable when you are renewing your license. You will have to attach the legal details to the application form before submitting it.
Licensing regulations will vary from state to state. Check with your local nursing registry to ensure that you have all of the requirements before renewing your license.