What You Need to Know about CNA Licensing in California
Are you looking for an exciting career in California that offers plenty of job opportunities and a comfortable starting salary? Can you see yourself working in a medical setting helping others? If so, you should consider becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant/Aide (CNA). There is currently a large need for CNAs in California, and the state does not require licensing for individuals who wish to obtain employment in this lucrative field.
Certification Requirements in California
In California, the California Department of Public Health oversees the rules and regulations regarding CNA certifications. For you to obtain certification as a nursing aide here, you must first graduate from an approved CNA training program. Secondly, after completing your program with a satisfactory GPA, you are required to complete the state's Certified Nursing Aide competency examination. During this test, you will be evaluated on both your intellectual knowledge and manual skills related to the field.
How to Get Your CNA Certification in California
To obtain your CNA certification in California, you need to go to the state's Department of Public Health website and click on "Certificates and Licenses." Next, click on "Occupations." On the following page, click on "Health Care Professionals." Finally, click on "Certified Nurse Aide" and "Certified Nurse Assistant Forms". This will take you to a page where you will find an initial application for CNA certification.
State-Approved CNA Schools in California
If you want to attend a CNA program in California, one of the following schools can provide you with the training you need.
- American Career College1200 N. Magnolia Ave., Anaheim, CA 92801Request info
- American Career College4021 Rosewood Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90004Request info
- American River College4700 College Oak Drive, Sacramento, CA 95841Request info
- Bakersfield College1801 Panorama Drive, Bakersfield, CA 93305Request info
- Baldwin Park Adult & Community Education4640 Maine Ave, Baldwin Park, CA 91706Request info
- Beaumont Adult School1575 Cherry Ave, Beaumont, CA 92223Request info
- Butte College604 East Walker Street, Orland, CA 95963Request info
- Butte College2320 Forest Aveune, Chico, CA 95928Request info
- Career Colleges of America5612 E Imperial Hwy, South Gate, CA 90280Request info
- Career Networks Institute702 W Town and Country Rd, Orange, CA 92868Request info
- Carrington College California380 Civic Drive, Suite 300, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523Request info
- Carrington College California8909 Folsom Boulevard, Sacramento, CA 95826Request info
- Chapman UniversityOne University Drive, Orange, CA 92866Request info
- Charles A. Jones Career & Education Center5451 Lemon Hill Ave, Sacramento, CA 95824Request info
- College of the Sequoias915 South Mooney Boulevard, Visalia, CA 93277Request info
- College of the Siskiyous2001 Campus Drive, Yreka, CA 96097Request info
- Concorde Career College12951 Euclid Street, #101, Garden Grove, CA 92840Request info
- East San Gabriel Valley Regional Occupational Program1501 W Del Norte St., West Covina, CA 91790Request info
- Galen College of Medical and Dental Assistants1325 North Wishon Avenue, Fresno, CA 93728Request info
- Hacienda La Puenta Adult Education School14101 E. Nelson Ave, La Puente, CA 91746Request info
- Kaplan College9055 Balboa Avenue, San Diego, CA 92123Request info
- Kaplan College2022 University Dr, Vista, CA 92083Request info
- Long Beach City College1305 East Pacific Coast Highway, Long Beach, CA 90806Request info
- Miracosta CollegeOne Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056Request info
- Mt Diablo Adult EducationLoma Vista Adult Center - 1266 San Carlos Avenue., Concord, CA 94518Request info
- National Career College6850 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, CA 91405Request info
- Palo Verde College1 College Drive, Blythe, CA 92225Request info
- Pomona Unified School District Adult and Career Education1515 W Mission Blvd, Pomona, CA 91766Request info
- Riverside Community College4800 Magnolia Avenue, Riverside, CA 92506Request info
- Saint Francis Career College3680 E. Imperial Highway, 5th Floor, Lynwood, CA 90262Request info
- Santa Rosa Junior College680 Sonoma Mountain Parkway, Petaluma, CA 94954Request info
- Summit Career College851 S. Cooley Dr, Colton, CA 92324Request info
- West Coast Ultrasound Institute291 S La Cienega Blvd Ste 500, Beverly Hills, CA 90211Request info
How to Verify Your CNA Certification in California
From time to time, you may find that you need to verify your CNA certification. This is especially true when changing jobs. If this is the case with you, you will need to fill out and submit a CNA verification form, which you will find by clicking on the "Publications and Forms" tab on the California Department of Public Health website.
How to Renew Your CNA Certification in California
You will need to renew your CNA certification every two years in California. However, to be eligible for renewal, you must attend 12 hours of continuing education courses per year. If you meet this requirement, you can fill out and submit the renewal application located on the Department of Public Health website.
How to Reinstate Your CNA Certification in California
If you did not complete the required number of continuing education courses before your CNA renewal, you will need to reinstate your California certification. To do this, you must re-take the CNA competency exam, fulfill the CE requirements, pay a late fee and submit a certification renewal application.
How to Transfer Your CNA Certification from California to Another State
If you are moving and need to transfer your California CNA certification to a different state, you will need to contact the new state's Nurse Aide Registry, Board of Nursing or Department of Public Health to find out about their requirements. While most states only require a simple verification of your current CNA status, others may require such things as continuing education coursework, testing and/or transfer fees.
California Department of Public Health
For any other information you may need pertaining to CNA certification in California, you can contact the California Department of Public Health at:
California Department of Public Health
Licensing & Certification Program
CNA/HHA/CHT Certification Unit
P.O. Box 997416, MS 3301
Sacramento, CA 95899-7416
Phone: (916) 327-2445
With its great salaries, short training programs and abundance of job opportunities, becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant/Aide in California is a smart choice today!