Verifying a Certified Nursing Assistant License
Studying to be a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) takes a month to six months to complete. But once you complete your course, you get certified as a CNA. Once you’ve passed the course and the licensing exam, you do get a license number that allows you to work independently in a nursing home or a hospital as a nursing assistant. You can even freelance as a private nursing attendant where you are not asked for a certificate. As a result, you may not remember to renew your CNA license. There may be time that you let your license lapse completely. You might not have got around to renewing it yearly and now you do not know whether the CNA license is still valid or not!
Is there a process to verify your CNA license online or personally?
- Yes there is. You can use this same process to get a copy of your CNA certificate and license to ensure that it is valid and up-to-date.
- Find out the addresses and telephone number of your local state CNA licensing authority and registry office. You can do this by logging on the Nurses Aide Registry and putting in your state name in the search engine. This will get you local addresses and telephone numbers that you can use.
- Check your states registry site for online registration. States like California already have an online verification system that lets you know the status of your certification and your license online. A few states may not have the facility so you will have to get in touch with that local state registry office personally.
- If you have to visit the registry office personally carry your licensing information with like the certification number, license number and date of issue etc. if you do not have all this information then your social security number should be sufficient as it is registered against your license when you are issued it. Most local registry offices will also have an automated system that will directly you easily towards the option you require.
- You will also have to pay a minimal fee for the verification process. The exact amount varies from state to state.
- There are two options for obtaining a true copy of your certificate and license. The license may be posted to your home address and will take two weeks to arrive or you can have it emailed to you. Its best to opt for the printed hard copy as it will have the original seal of the licensing authority on it when it comes by post.
- You can also check the status of your license with an independent organization just as an employer would be doing with your certificate when you submit it for a job application.
Please do ensure that you contact the specific state you completed your licensing and certification from. Other states will not carry your information unless you have had it transferred specially.