A quick and relatively easy way to break into the nursing line of work is by becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant, or CNA. The first step to becoming one is completing an educational program. In Louisiana, such programs are typically offered by community colleges and vocational and technical schools. They are offered around the state, so finding one that suits your needs and lifestyle is easy. Familiarize yourself with the top CNA programs in the state to more easily identify the right one. Upon completing it, you can take your certification exam and be on your way to a career as a CNA.
Five Popular Louisiana CNA Programs
Kick-start your search for a CNA program in Louisiana by considering these especially popular options:
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College - The school offers a Certified Nursing Assistant Program that prepares you to take and pass the certification exam. The program is designed to be completed in 10 months. It will cost $4278.00 if completed within normal time. There may be additional costs for living expenses. These costs were accurate at the time of this writing, but may have changed.
- Delgado Community College - Located in New Orleans, this college's Charity School of Nursing offers a CNA Program that will help you take and pass the certification exam with ease. Featuring a combination of clinical and didactic education, the program includes more than 80 hours of hands-on clinical work at approved local facilities. In-state tuition is around $2,991 at the time of this writing. To enroll, you need your high school diploma or GED, or you must pass the Ability to Benefit exam.
- Fletcher Technical Community College - This Houma, Louisiana, school has an average in-state tuition of $2,832 at the time of this writing. Its Nurse Assistant Program covers all the essentials, including OBRA skills, and it includes in-class and clinical instruction. For the latter, students complete clinical practice at local hospitals. You don't need a diploma or GED to enroll, but you must pass a criminal background check and drug screen.
- Northshore Technical College - Located in Bogalusa, Louisiana, this technical college offers a Patint Care Technician program that also prepares aspiring CNAs for the certification exam that they must pass in order to become licensed. The program is operated by the Health Sciences and Nursing Department and includes classroom instruction and clinical practice. Total tuition and basic fees for the required 6 credit hours are $1,031.76.
- River Parishes Community College - If you live near Sorrento, Louisiana, this college may be the place to complete your CNA schooling. It offers a dual enrollment CNA program that prepares you to take and pass the certification exam. The program is only available to high school students through RPCC Westside Campus in Plaquemine, LA. In-state total tuition and fees for the program students are $1,189.72. Upon successfully completing the program, you will be eligible to take the certification exam. After passing it, you will receive your license and will be eligible to apply for jobs as a CNA in the state of Louisiana.
Choosing a CNA program in Louisiana isn't something to take lightly. Take your time and do plenty of research to identify a program that is conveniently located and accommodates your budget. Remember that an investment in such a program is an investment in your future nursing career. Make the most of this investment by giving your best effort in your classroom and clinical practice.