- CNA License
- CNA License by State
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Find CNA Programs
Have you been, in Virginia, searching for a medical career that does not require a degree? If so, we have fantastic news for you! There is currently a great need for nurse aides in Virginia, and one of the best features of this occupation is that you do not need a degree to obtain employment.
Table of Contents[hide]
- CNA Certification Requirements in Virginia
- How to Get Your CNA Certification in Virginia
- How to Verify Your CNA Certification in Virginia
- How to Renew Your CNA Certification in Virginia
- How to Reinstate Your CNA Certification in Virginia
- How to Transfer Your CNA Certification from Virginia to Another State
- Virginia Nurse Aide Registry
- State-Approved CNA Programs in Virginia
CNA Certification Requirements in Virginia
The Virginia Board of Nursing regulates the training standards and certifications of all nurse aides in the state. In accordance with the Board, if you wish to obtain CNA certification in Virginia, you must enroll in and complete a state-approved training program. Secondly, you will need to schedule an appointment to take Pearson Vue's two-part CNA certification examination. Passing scores on this test are necessary for placement on the Virginia Nurse Aide Registry.
How to Get Your CNA Certification in Virginia
One of the benefits of choosing to become a CNA in Virginia is that the state’s certification procedure is very easy. After you receiving an acceptable score on your certification examination, Pearson Vue will share your scores with you in your PCM account. After passing the exam, your name will be added to the Nurse Aide Registry. Your initial certification in Virginia will be effective for two years.
How to Verify Your CNA Certification in Virginia
Every so often, you will find that you need to check your CNA certification status in Virginia. When this occurs, go to the Virginia Board of Nursing website and take the cursor over Public Resources. In the drop-down menu that opens, click on “License Lookup.” The page that will then show up will contain the tool that will allow you to verify your CNA status in the state.
How to Renew Your CNA Certification in Virginia
In Virginia, you must renew your nurse aide certification every 24 months. You must have worked for pay during the last two years to be eligible for renewal. You can get your certification renewed online by visiting the Virginia Board of Nursing website and taking the cursor to Practitioner Resources. In the drop-down menu that appears, click on “Renew Online.”
How to Reinstate Your CNA Certification in Virginia
You must work as a paid nurse aide in Virginia during the two-year period to be eligible for renewal. If you do not meet this requirement, or you forget to renew, you will need to reinstate your certification. If you were previously listed on the registry and have been lapsed for over 90 days, you will need to submit a reinstatement application and fees to the board. The board will then decide if you also need to take the examination to show competency for reinstatement. Reinstatement applications with instructions may be obtained from the board website or by calling the board at (804) 367-4515.
How to Transfer Your CNA Certification from Virginia to Another State
If it becomes necessary to transfer your CNA certification out of Virginia to another state, you will need to fulfill the transfer requirements of the other state. If you are not sure of the other state’s proper agency to contact, find a listing of CNA regulatory agencies on the National Council of State Boards of Nursing website. You will find this list under the tab labeled "NNAAP & MACE."
Virginia Nurse Aide Registry
If you have additional questions, contact the Virginia Nurse Aide Registry at:
Perimeter Center, 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300, Richmond, VA 23233
Phone: (804) 367-4515
Fax: (804) 527-4455
State-Approved CNA Programs in Virginia
Virginia is home to many fine CNA schools; however, the facilities listed below are among some of the best in the state.
- 751 W Hundred Rd, Chester, VA 23836 (804) 751-9191
- 1000 Dabney Dr, Clifton Forge, VA 24422 (540) 863-2800
- 29300 Lankford Hwy, Melfa, VA 23410 (757) 789-1789
- 3441 Mountain Empire Rd, Big Stone Gap, VA 24219 (276) 523-2400
- 5251 State Rd 373, Dublin, VA 24084 (540) 674-3600
- 100 N College Dr, Franklin, VA 23851 (757) 569-6700
- 52 Campus Dr, Warsaw, VA 22572 (804) 333-6700
- 1651 E Parham Rd, Richmond, VA 23228 (804) 371-3000
- 108 N Jefferson St, Roanoke, VA 24016 (540) 767-6161
- 109 Campus Dr, Alberta, VA 23821 (434) 949-1000
- 99 Thomas Nelson Dr, Hampton, VA 23666 (757) 825-2800
- 121 College Pl, Norfolk, VA 23510 (757) 822-1111