If you live in Texas and want to embark on an exciting career in the nursing field, becoming a CNA, or Certified Nursing Assistant, is an excellent first step. To gain the credentials you need to qualify for CNA jobs, you must take and pass the state certification exam. First, however, you must complete a CNA program that will prepare you to pass the exam with ease. Numerous programs are available across the Lone Star State, but don't just choose one at random. Take your time and consider plenty of options to find a program that suits your needs perfectly. A great place to start is by considering popular CNA programs in the state.
Five Popular Texas CNA Programs
It is easy to feel overwhelmed while looking for CNA programs in Texas. Here are a few especially popular options to get your search off to a productive start:
- Laredo Community College - Located in Laredo, Texas, LCC offers a Nursing Assistant/NURA program that can be completed in a single semester. Tuition for in-district students costs $800. You may qualify for financial aid. The program includes group discussions, lectures, and clinical lab practices. You will also gain hands-on experience at local facilities. Upon completing the program, you will be eligible to sit for the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services Certification Exam.
- South Texas College - The Patient Care Assistant program at this McAllen, Texas, school gives you the knowledge and skills you need to take and pass the state certification exam, which is mandatory for anyone who wants to work as a CNA in the state of Texas. Tuition costs $1,232 for in-state students, and you may reduce the financial burden further with financial aid. This flexible program includes daytime, evening, and web-enhanced classes that are ideal for busy, working adults.
- Trinity Valley Community College - Located in Athens, Texas, Trinity Valley Community College offers a Medical Nursing Assistant certification program that prepares you to take and pass the State of Texas Nurse Aid Certification Exam. In-state tuition is $1,248, so this is an affordable and convenient option for aspiring CNAs who live near McAllen. You must have your high school diploma or GED to enroll.
- Texas Health School - This Houston-based school focuses on healthcare-related programs. Not surprisingly, then, it offers a very popular nurse aide program. Contact the school to learn about the tuition and fees. The program consists of 60 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical practice at local facilities.
- Vista College - If you really want to hit the ground running on your CNA career, complete the nursing assistant program at Vista College. Located in Beaumont, Texas, the school's popular program includes a mix of classroom instruction and clinical practice at state-approved nursing facilities. As a result, by the time you complete the program, you will already have a very good feel for what it's like to work as a CNA. Better still, you will be prepared to take and pass the state certification exam.
The sooner you identify the right CNA program, the sooner you can sit for the state certification exam and earn your CNA license. Learn as much as you can about programs near you to ensure that you enroll in one that suits your needs perfectly.